Monday, February 13, 2012

And So The Cycle Begins.....

I realized I am very cyclical with my blog.  I post like crazy, then I drop it for a bit.  This is nothing other than me choosing a nap over blogging.  Not a bad thing, but just not an informative thing!

I will first catch you up on the runs as there have been a few biggies!

January 21, 2012
My first double digit run!  I felt like a complete rock star, not just because I ran double digit miles, but I did it in snow, ice, slush and a little dry land here and there.  I had my BRF's along for the ride.  Michelle hung in for the whole run but we lost Megan at about 8mi as that was all she needed for the day.
The Three Of Us at Mile 8

I thought I had one of Michelle and I at the finish, but it seems to be missing.  Hmmm....

January 28, 2012

My partner in crime Michelle couldn't run with me on this day :(  but I was lucky enough to find a  partner through WeROKC a Facebook group of women runners of King County.  You can post the miles and pace you are looking to cover and hope that someone might need to do a similar workout.  I was lucky enough to have a great gal named Alma  join me.  She is an amazing runner and a very kind person.  She is almost my exact same age and has a little boy right in between Moo and Bean.  She has marathons and half's under her belt as well as many years experience running.  She was more than happy to "talk shop" the entire run.  I learned a lot on the run and can't wait to run with her in the future!

February 4, 2012

This was a great run for me but also a hard one.  Michelle joined me, but after weeks of a calf injury that was slowing her down followed by an illness, she only ran the first 6mi of 12 with me.  In a way it worked out quite well.  I did the first 6 at a nice slow pace with a few breaks.  Then when I did the second 6mi by myself I was primed and ready to go!  I am not sure that I had negative splits the entire time, but I DO know that mile 12 was my fastest of the bunch 
Michelle and I after the first 6mi
Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary1:55:24.112.019:37
110:29.71.0010:30
210:34.21.0010:34
310:05.71.0010:06
410:29.71.0010:30
510:14.81.0010:15
69:58.21.009:58
79:06.21.009:06
88:53.91.008:54
98:59.31.008:59
108:47.41.008:47
118:55.11.008:55
128:45.01.008:45
13:05.00.018:0



Me after 12 (with a warm shirt on)  Look at that happy face!

Me finishing 12mi by myself missing my girl!




February 11, 2012

This was a bittersweet run for so many reasons.  Going into the run I knew it was going to be a big milestone.  I had 13mi on the schedule.  Having never run a half marathon before this was actually going to be my first.  That in itself is a HUGE accomplishment and was frankly my only goal for the spring.  It wasn't until Michelle thought she would train for Eugene in April that I decided to run along for the full training just to see how it went.  I knew I could always run the half in April if the training did not go well, but why not shoot for the moon??  
It was a very somber day for me because I ran for Sherry Arnold with the lovely ladies of WeROKC.
The WeROKC girls, I'm taking the pic




It was also sad for me as my BRF Michelle wasn't able to find childcare for her bubs and she had to miss our run.  She also is going to be out of town for our next two runs!  How in the world am I going to function?  I am sure I will get through, but it just will feel weird missing my weekly mom dates.  I may have already been able to recruit Alma for one run and maybe Lindsay for the other.  
Lindsay ran 10 of my 13mi with me.  She is running a half this coming week so she wanted to take it easy.  She was most gracious though to stick around and take a pic of me finishing my run.  The smile on my face says it all!  I think you could see it from Jupiter!!!
Me completing my first "half marathon"

Lindsay and I after our run.  It was so great to have someone to catch my finishing moment :D

Women runners are great!  They are so willing to help one another and to cheer each other on.  I am blessed to continually grow my circle of running friends.  I am not sure what I would do if I did not get my weekly sanity breaks.  In fact I am already starting to mourn the loss of my training runs.  I haven't even finished the marathon and I already feel lost in some ways.  I need my weekly checklist to make sure that I make time for myself.  Talking with Mike I think the reality of it is I will need to be training for something after.  Maybe just improving my 5k or 10k time but I will need something to check off my list.

The other worrisome part of my week, I for the first time was feeling like I wasn't 100%.  My right achilles had felt just a bit off.  I know that being in medicine for all of those years can make you a either a hypochondriac or you bury your head in the sand and pretend that nothing is wrong.  I try to hover realistically in the middle and for the most part succeed.  Honestly, if I did not knwo what I know, I don't think I would have even noticed my achilles being tweaked.  It was just a tad off for all of two second when I would stand up after sleeping or sitting for a long time.  Knowing though that an achilles is nothing to fool with, I iced, elevated and stretched.  I can honestly say that less than a week later it feels great and pretty much back to normal.  Knowing my goal is to finish healthy, uninjured, with a smile helped though.  I took the time to heal my injury instead of trying to push through before it became something much bigger.  With age comes a need to be conservative with your health.  That is a gift I never knew I would receive.  Hell, at this point I only allow myself to drink wine two nights per week; Thursday and Saturday.  Both nights preclude a rest day.  

One last pic  of me healing my leggies in the ice bath with the babies helping with the ice hence the small cubes.

Actually I want to add one more pic.  A picture of me 18 months ago.  It flashed up on the screen as a screen saver the other day and I just couldn't believe it.  
August 2010

That may not ook that crazy to you, but I know how big I was then and it will always remind me of where I started this journey.

Babies are awake now, so I will have to continue this a little later.  Thanks again for all of your support.  I have people who mention my blog to me and I can't believe so many of you are interested and are so supportive.  On the long runs it motivates me to know I am bringing so many of you along with me on this journey.  There will be classroom participation in the future, so please stay tuned.  I will need all of your help...it will be super fun I promise!











No comments:

Post a Comment