Monday, August 20, 2012

Don't Look Back In Anger

I was thinking about this post and instantly I thought of the Oasis song "Don't Look Back In Anger" (link just in case it's been awhile since you've taken a listen)

I keep getting caught up in what I'm NOT doing these days instead of what I AM doing.  Hello negative thinker, where did you come from?!?

It's not a secret times are tough around the old Mertel homestead.  Motherhood seems to frequently take over in a very overwhelming way for me.  Never BC (Before Children) would I think I would be this negatively affected by having children.  I am a positive person-sometimes I have to work at it, sometimes it comes naturally.  Either way it comes, that is the general state if mind I like to live in.  So imagine my surprise when I realized that negative would come creepin' into my life through all sorts of cracks in my exterior.

The good news is recently I have become aware again that this is a choice I am living.  Things don't have to be this hard even if they are hard.   I know this.  Working with Cardiac Surgeons for 12yrs made me very aware of that.  Surgeons can scream, patients can die, but if I stay above it than I am. Conversely,  children can scream and meltdown, but I can stay above it.  Right???  We shall see.  Operation "Stay Positive" is on in full affect.  Pray for me please!!

So without dwelling on all the posts I haven't written and all the workouts I haven't done, let's focus on what I have recently done.  I have finally gotten a gym membership.  After lots of himing and hawing I decided on a membership to the YMCA.  Mostly because they had everything available but also because childcare is free and unlimited and also, when I go back to WI, I can use the Y there.  This is Mucho Importante as I am planning on a February marathon (if all goes as planned) and I will need to do some training runs in December while I am home for my sister's wedding.

What else is positive you may ask?  Well, I have actually cross trained AND lifted some weights.  I have also started doing some focussed core strength workouts.
More importantly, I got over the unexpected today and used Dimity's Outlook "Don't Think Just Go" when life took an unexpected turn this morning.  The original plan was to go to a 930 spinning class.  With Ryan waking up at 845 and then crying until 859 about his yogurt not being right, then the fireplace repair guy showing up at 905, I realized that 930 spinning was out of the question.
Fortunately the repair work was done in NO time and then the crazy crying child told me he wanted to go to the "Y in Seattle"  which is somehow what he thinks I am saying when I say the "YMCA".  Either way it served a great purpose.  I told him 1. he had to eat the yogurt before we could go as he couldn't be hungry at the Y and 2. he had to quickly get dressed so we could go.  I knew there was a 1030 Yoga class that I could make IF I didn't think about it and just started moving everyone out the door.
The good news:  We Made It!  just barely in the nick of time, but we made it.  Some tears along the way and I was a few minutes late, but WE DID IT !!!
I realized I needed the relaxing down time more than an active workout anyhow.  I also got a peaceful shower in...which is alway nice!

On that note, I realized that I am supposed to be training for the Seattle Half Marathon right now.  Lucky for me I am using the Train Like A Mother-Finish It Half Marathon Plan.   Today I had a "Fun Workout" on the books, so hooray for me-I did the proposed workout.

So that's that for one day.  Good stuff will be coming along, as well as a little more action here in the blog-o-sphere.

Have a Great day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment