Friday, June 22, 2012

For Reals....I'm Back!!

The good news is my dry spell is up!  The bad news is you will be hearing a lot from me again :D
I have felt so lost and unmotivated.  It took doing a lot of Bikram Yoga to really get my running groove back.  How funny is that!?!?  My legs just were not recovering and the thought of running seemed as appealing as eating rotten eggs!

Then I noticed all sorts of friends and family talking about their races and their runs.  I will admit, I was getting jealous.  I knew the feelings they were feeling and darn it, I wanted to feel that good too!  And yes, I am one of those crazy runners who relishes in wobbly legs and exhaustion that can only come from hours of running.  Mostly-I miss that clarity that seems to overcome me somewhere after 5mi, closer to 10mi.  I love Long Long runs!  I think that is why for me, I am hooked on the full marathon.
A half marathon is nothing to sneeze at and I cheer for every single one of my friends who finish one!  For me though, it isn't long enough to commit to a training plan.  This is most likely due to the fact that the first time I ran one, I did it as a training run.  The distance became insignificant to ME (please do not be offended if this is your longest run to date it IS a significant distance that you should be proud of)

I think this will be a flaw that comes back to bite me in the arse.  Let's face it-who knows how long I can run such long distances.  Right now I am training conservatively, but I have big goals for myself-and NO I am not ready to put those out there just yet.  I have murmured these goals to a few people and they have all been supportive and know no better so they think I can achieve it.  I do too, but not right now.  I know my time is coming.
I digress.  My 1/2 marathon flaw.  I hope I will get excited by the distance in the future, but right now...meh!

So I bet you are guessing what is on my schedule right?  Right now I have not put the money in yet, but-I have started the training runs to do the Victoria Marathon in Victoria, B.C. on October 7, 2012.  I am really stoked about it and hesitant all at the same time.  I vacillate wildly from day to day.  One day I am 100% in and the next I feel like I will barely be able to find the time to run 3mi let alone 20mi training runs.  Mostly it is due to the fact that it is summer and there are so many fun things to do!  I hate that my family will be waiting on me to finish my long run, then they will deal with my slow as a snail walking pace later that day.  Training for a spring run had the downside of training in rain, snow, and ice.  Training for a fall run means that all those long runs will be done when all the fun stuff is going on.  Granted, I can get up at 5 to run instead of 7-that should help.

Oh the ramblings of a mom on a Friday night who has a little girl who wants her daddy to put her to sleep!

This week has been busy.  I did not blog about it, but last Saturday was my first long run (6mi) since my full.  It went great.  Michelle and I took it fairly slow.  She was just at the end of a pretty bad cold/flu and I hadn't run that far in a long time.  Plus we had A LOT of catching up to do.  So that meant lots of walk breaks and lots of chatting.

I ran on Tuesday (3-easy), Wednesday (4-negative splits) and today (3-easy).  I have a long run of 5mi scheduled for the weekend, and I am not sure when I am going to fit it in.

The Rock N Roll Seattle is going on this weekend and Alma and I will be spectating together.  I am super excited to give back as a supporter!  Every person cheering meant the world to me as I was running.  I know they weren't cheering for me, but I pretended they were.  So, hopefully, I can give someone a bit of a boost tomorrow.

I almost forgot!!  On Thursday I was privileged to Co-host a house party for Sarah and Dimity at Another Mother Runner.  It was so great to get a bunch of mother runners together and have a nice night of mingling and chatting.  They had awesome giveaways including a jogging stroller worth over $500!!!  I was so happy to help them pull things together as they were two of a few people who really made me believe I could even train for a full marathon while I had two toddlers.


Tonights post seems kind of boring.  I felt like I needed to do a little house keeping and catching up before I started really posting about the good stuff.  


I learned SO much while training for my first and i know of plenty of things I will do different/smarter this time.  I look forward to sharing them with you.  
Once again thanks so much for following along and for supporting my journey of being a Mother Runner!

No comments:

Post a Comment